Sunday Sermon: January 26, 2020
Pastor Bryan George
#4 – Did I open my life to be changed by Christ today?
#5 – Did I actively seek ways to grow spiritually today?
#6 – Did I obey the teachings of Jesus today?
Scripture: Ephesians 4: 13-24, I Timothy 4:6-10, I John 3:16-24
Focus: The way of Jesus is a lifelong journey where disciples are asked not to merely acknowledge His existence but to follow in steps where are challenged to stretch our faith, and to be accountable with others.
I) Tracking steps to meet goals
- Accountability on my app is a fiscal motivation to get moving
- A daily pursuit to “become healthy in God”
II) Full stature or child size? (Ephesians 4:13-14)
- The Ending of “Big”
- Child Size is “Tossed to and fro” by “people’s trickery” or “deceitful scheming”
- Full stature of Christ is “building itself up in love”
III) Growing in Christ likeness (Ephesians 4:15ff )
- The former way of thinking apart from Jesus
- “Futility of their minds” (v.17)
- “Hardness of heart” (v.18)
- “Lost all sensitivity” (v.19)
- “The way you learned Christ” (v.20)
- “heard about him and were taught by him” (v.21)
- “Put away your former way of life”(v.22)
- “Be renewed in the spirit of your minds” (v.23)
- “Clothe yourselves.. in true righteousness and holiness” (v.24)
IV) Steps to become Healthy in God: Open, Grow, Obey
- Step 1: Open to be changed by Christ Today?
- Connect to God in Worship and daily devotion
- Step 2: Seek Ways to Grow Spiritually Today?
- Connect and grow in Small groups
- Step 3: Obey the teachings of Jesus today?
- Learn and follow God’s word
- Ortberg: “The goal is not for us to get through the scripture. The goal is to get the Scriptures through us.”