Contemporary Service Worship: 9:30 am – March 17, 2019
Pastor Jared Priset
Sermon title: Getting Rid of Expectations We Place on God
Scripture: Genesis 12:1-4; John 3:1-10
Focus: In order to get rid of the expectations we place on God, we must switch from a “show me and I’ll believe” mentality to a “believe me and I’ll show you” kind of faith. Abraham and Nicodemus demonstrated these two outlooks in the Scriptures.
I) Realistic expectations
- Realistic expectations are ok – sun rising, cars stopping at red lights, etc.
- “Expectation” – rooted in mathematical probability
II) Unrealistic expectations
- Standard of probability doesn’t necessarily apply to matters of faith
- Can create disappointment or disillusionment with God.
- “If God is God then…”
III) “Show me and I’ll believe” vs. “Believe me and I’ll show you”
- Abraham (Genesis 12:1-4)
- Nicodemus (John 3:1-10)
- “You’re packing a suitcase for a place none of us have ever been. A place that has to be believed to be seen.” – U2
IV) Abraham – “Believe me and I will show you”
- Entered retirement, settled
- The call to start over
V) Nicodemus – “Show me and I will believe”
- Yearns for something more in life
- Successful in religion, career, status yet something is missing
- Needing to be “born again”
VI) The word “Believe” means:
- Commit one’s heart to
- Set one’s heart upon
VII) Charles Blondin and the wheelbarrow over Niagara Falls
- There are no “maybes”
VIII) What does this mean for you?
- Step out and do something new?
- Turn around and start again?