Church of the Lakes began in 1956 in the basement of Bill and Marilyn Melvins’ home. The church was formed to meet the needs of the growing Lake Cable area with the support of Rev. Hugh Graham and Church of the Savior United Methodist.
The Charter Sunday Bulletin in 1956 contained the following statement:
The Church is a place where –
* The Word of God is preached
* The Power of God is felt
* The Spirit of God is manifested
* The Love of God is revealed
* The Unity of God is perceived
The congregation outgrew the Melvins’ basement and moved to the Lake Cable Clubhouse. In 1960 an education building was constructed followed by the sanctuary in 1964. The church was intended to be an outreach to the area serving as a spiritual, social and community hub. The cornerstone for the new Activity Center was laid in December of 1999. Our latest edition, built in 2006, offered room for additional classrooms and office/meeting space.
If you would like to see our organizational chart or profit & loss statement please click here to send an email request.